the official website


newmains united football club

Forth Wanderers 2 - 5 Newmains United

BARTON GOES FORTH: Mikey's double helped Newmains to brilliant win.

(Photo: Gerry McWilliams/MCW Photography)

at Kingshill Park

A FIVE-STAR showing saw Newmains United grab their first league win in 16 months.

The revamped side bossed by Craig Gupwell and Paul Davies stunned Forth Wanderers in front of their own fans with a ruthless second half display.

A double from Michael Barton plus goals from William Mcglone, John Watson and Owen Mooney sparked celebrations at full-time.

Four of the goals came in the final 25 minutes as Forth were swept aside in devastating fashion.

Midfield hero Barton beamed: “It’s been a long time coming and the boys are delighted.

“It’s been over a year to get the three points. We’ve all being saying to each other for a while we are due a decent win and performance like this one.

“This is where we have wanted to be for a while and now the hard work seems to be paying off.

“It feels brilliant. Hopefully we can push on now. Morale is sky high.”

This was a convincing win for Newmains in the end but the game took a while to warm up.

There were few chances for either side with no real threats until near the halfway stage.

Newmains had been forced into an early change when Paul Donaghy pulled up with a hamstring injury ten minutes before the break.

He was replaced by Mooney – but it was Forth who struck the first blow as two goals were scored in as many minutes.

The home side took the lead from a simple corner which was met by Kirstopher Dick and his bullet header powered into the top left hand corner.

But just moments later – and in first-half stoppage time – Newmains levelled through Barton, who tapped in from close range after latching onto a David Banks cross on the left.

The teams headed in all-square at the break – but some inspirational words saw Newmains grab the game by the horns after the restart.

The away side’s onslaught on the Forth goal started on 65 minutes when a failed clearance allowed Mcglone a chance to score and he made no mistake.

That lead only lasted a minute though as Newmains keeper Gordon Bruce spilled a cross and Forth made him pay.

But a crazy few minutes saw Newmains pull away as first Barton grabbed his second after showing tenacity to win the ball then finish.

They put the game to bed on 75 minutes when Watson calmly scored from the spot after Mcglone had been brought down inside the box.

Sub Mooney then capped a brilliant day with a looping shot from 25 yards which sailed into the right hand corner.

Man of the match Barton admits he’s loving his football after a switch in position.

He added: “I was playing at centre-back before but I’ve been moved up to the wing and I have enjoyed it a lot better.

“I get the opportunity to create a lot more chances and chip in with the goals as well.”


Johnstone Burgh 3 - 0 Newmains United

NEWMAINS UNITED lost their captain after he suffered a freak accident. But Paul Davies reckons this was no disaster on the pitch against a side…