the official website


newmains united football club

Davies blames Celtic trip for league halt

PAUL DAVIES (Photo: Innes McVey)

PAUL DAVIES reckons Celtic’s trip to Dubai has seen lower league football in Scotland halted for three weeks.

The Hoops returned from their ill-fated journey to the UAE on Friday.

Christopher Jullien has since tested positive for covid plus boss Neil Lennon, No2 John Kennedy and 13 players were forced to self-isolate and missed Monday’s clash with Hibs.

Moments before the Parkhead side’s announcement it was confirmed the game from below the SPFL Championship had been put into cold storage for at least three weeks.

Newmains United co-boss Davies insists the government and the SFA had to be seen to be doing something – but can’t understand why the whole game hasn’t been mothballed.

He said: “I was surprised the league was stopped on Monday as on Sunday night I was still receiving   correspondence from the league regarding cup fixtures.

“That tells me the league had no say in this matter. We totally agree with the decision but I can’t help think this is political decision off the back of Celtic travelling to Dubai.

“I genuinely believe the Scottish FA had to be seen to be doing something. We know the virus has yet to peak and we know something needs done.

“So why not circuit break the whole of Scottish football including the Scottish Premiership, which has had games cancelled this year because of positive tests.

“From a humanity point of view it’s only football and we totally understand any unnecessary travel should be stopped to save the risk of the virus spreading. If we can do our bit to help then we will.”

The Lowland League had turned down pleas from the likes of Dalbeattie Star, Maybole and Craigmark Burntonians to put the lower leagues on hold on Sunday.

Now Davies and co-boss Craig Gupwell – whose side have been inactive since December 12 – must now work out a path forwards for the side.

He said: “It’s now a case of how we deal with no training, with the league only being proposed to shut for three weeks.

“I’m sure this will be delayed for longer, if not for the rest of the season. But we will do what we can until that decision is made.”